Saturday, September 14, 2013

Apple Cornbread

Apple cornbread was a happy mistake many years ago. I thought I had tripled the boxed Jiffy cornbread mix, but accidentally grabbed two boxes of cornbread and one apple muffin mix. I did not realize it until I dumped all of them together in the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients. Thinking, what the heck, I went ahead and prepared it as per directions. The result was fantastic, tasting of apples, but still very much distinguishable as cornbread in texture, taste, and crumble.

Pair this awesome cornbread with pork dishes, beans, and greens.

My recipe "fix" calls for POWDERED MILK reconstituted with APPLE JUICE, and added cooking oil (I used canola).

Apple Cornbread

Two packets/boxes of your favorite brand of cornbread mix
One packet/box of your favorite apple muffin mix
1/2 cup of your preferred cooking oil

I love Jiffy brand mixes, but will usually go for the Shawnee Mills mixes instead, as they are MIA (Made in Oklahoma)!

***Most brands of premixed breads require milk. You can certainly use liquid milk, however, I like to use powdered milk. My children are well passed the age where they drink milk for nutrition and if I buy it, it will go bad in my refrigerator. So I buy powdered milk to reconstitute as needed or canned evaporated milk to use full strength or dilute. In this recipe, if you choose to use apple juice for a bit more apple flavor, you should use powdered milk and then use the juice as you would water per package directions. Adding apple juice AND liquid milk will not work for this recipe. *****

Preheat oven to 400 degrees (most mixes will have that as the standard baking temp)
Mix all your ingredients per package directions, including the oil.

Bake as long as indicated, watching closely toward the end of baking time.

Test with a toothpick, remove from oven and cool completely before removing from pan. Serve with a schmear of butter or margarine.


This is the first time I ever used a bundt pan for this recipe. BIG MISTAKE. I thought it would look so pretty on the plate for the blog.  
1. I sprayed the pan with oil spray, but did not did not dust with flour
2. I did not let the bread completely cool. It was quite hot still when I tried to take it out of the pan. UGH. 

It turned out ugly on the plate, as I had to piece the bottom to the top, but it smelled HEAVENLY, very apple-y!


Countertop Cat "Spider" approves of my recipe. I had to fight him away from the baked product, the little pig! Why is he Countertop Cat? Because he is so dang nosey and food driven that if I am in the kitchen he HAS to be, too, and he will jump on the counter and sniff, lick, and paw at whatever I am trying to prepare! 

Hope you all try apple cornbread and love it as much as my family does!

6 comments:

  1. sounds very yummy how ever this one may be impossible to make here in the uk,xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cornbread is more an American thing, I guess. Your stores don't sell cornmeal? Grits? Hominy? Corn flour? Corn oil? POPCORN??!!!
      Give me a sec, Rach. It's hard trying to wrap my head around this concept...

      Delete
  2. It certainly looks beautiful in the pan. This sounds like a really neat idea with a potential for some other good combinations. You are lucky to have such a helpful kitty. Gratitude is always becoming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not call him helpful so much as entertaining. No matter how much I want to be angry with him, it's more annoyed, then he just cracks me up. I think the number one thing he hears out of mouth is "what'r you doin'?"

      Delete
  3. I think it will work - let it cool more - hey - toss in a fincely chopped pear too! Anything made in a bundt pan is, be definition, good. Yesterday we had bacon bread ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow, bacon bread sounds good. Anything with bacon is, by definition, good...

      Delete