Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Kitchen Prayer - Just Right For This Blog!

What makes me want to cook more than anything? Being in the kitchen. And what makes me want to be in the kitchen? When it is nice, cleaned, and organized. Nothing gets me cleaning and organizing like hearing classical music. Playing softly, it adds something magical to my kitchen's atmosphere that is both energizing and relaxing. I also like a cutely decorated kitchen!

Years ago, I found a little plate with a kitchen painted upon it, and this poem/prayer. 

Lord of all pots and pans and things,
Since I've no time to be
A saint by doing lovely things or
Watching late with thee,
Or dreaming in the twilight or
Storming heaven's gates
Make me a saint by getting meals or
Washing up the plates.
Although I must have Martha's hands,
I have Mary's mind, and,
When I black the boots and shoes
Thy sandals, Lord, I find.
I think of how they trod the earth
What time I scrub the floor,
Accept this meditation, Lord,
I haven't time for more.
Warm all the kitchen with thy love,
And light it with thy peace,
Forgive me all my worrying
And make all grumbling cease.
Thou who didst love to give men food
In room or by the sea
Accept this service that I do
I do it unto thee.

Reiterating the ONE rule about this blog and about food in general: LOVE. A humble bowl of beans made and served with love is a hearty, happy, filling meal.  
Come back tomorrow for Kitchen Sink Jambalaya. 
Til then, I am wishing you all love, love, love, love, crazy love...


3 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely in your kitchen Brandi,this poem/prayer is perfect too!can't wait till tomorrow,xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandi, this is very, very beautiful. As you know, I have spent time in Egypt, and people always say to the cook "May your hands be blessed (for this kindness/ for this food).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be hard to do watch the news lately, having spent time in such an ancient land and country, only to see them self-destruct. And say what you will about Assad, his government was tolerant of Christians, which to me means something in a leader in the middle east.
      In Muslim nations where Christians are allowed to flourish, or at least left in peace, Mother of God, pray for those nations and their leaders.

      Delete