Thursday, September 12, 2013

Huhhhhh? Whuh?? Did I Mention Jambalaya?

Ok, no Kitchen Sink Jambalaya tonight. Why? Because I ain't the sharpest knife in the set. The smoked sausage got eaten! Now I KNOW when I call my jambalaya KITCHEN SINK, well, it implies that there is everything in it, or at least what seems like everything. So why do I need the smoked sausage? Because that is JUST the BASE of the dish. It is the HEART and SOUL of the dish.  The rice is the binder, and EVERYTHING BUT THE KITCHEN SINK is the filler!

Ok, it's nothing special, but my family loves it a bunch. Just cut up smoked sausage into medallions. Cook in a skillet. When some of the fat is rendered, toss in diced onion, some garlic (in any form) and let it all sweat. Add any leftover raw veggies you need to use up, diced. Two cups of rice. Toast the rice a bit. Add cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, four cups of water or broth (any kind) or leftover soup (if thickened, then just thin it out and use four cups),  and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and steam rice. When it is cooked and still very hot, stir in assorted leftovers, such as fish, taco meat, meatballs, chicken, beans, etc...you get the drift. Let the leftovers heat through.  Serve hot with hot sauce.

It ain't AUTHENTIC jambalaya any more than I am authentic Cajun, but it sure uses up leftovers, goes a super long way, and tastes super yummy.

And no, do not need to use sausage. If you don't then make sure to use butter, bacon fat, or oil to toast up your rice and veggies.

And that is all it is. If you have put all your love into previously cooked dishes, you have increased your love exponentially in this super easy dish!

3 comments:

  1. Wow - I bet I could even sneak some pears in there and they would just add a touch of sweet and smooth!

    ReplyDelete