Saturday, September 28, 2013

Filtered Or Bottled Water - Chlorine Is NOT An Ingredient!


You will notice in current and future posts that I insist on using filtered or bottled water; I say that chlorine is not an ingredient. This may seem like a joke, but I am very serious. Just like you should cook only with wine you would drink, if you would not drink your water right from the tap, do not cook with it right from the tap. All water we consume should be filtered.
Water is recycled and put through a purification process by municipalities, so the toilet you flush today will be the water you drink tomorrow. The water treatment plants do a good and thorough job of making our water supply safe for drinking. Right out of the tap, most water is not harmful. Now this all depends on the source of your water. In Oklahoma, we get our water from reservoirs, and some people have well water.
But we also have a problem in smaller towns with heavy metals in the water supply, so much in fact that citizens are warned to not drink the tap water.  A lot of smaller man made lakes will post warnings  that consuming x-amount of fish can result in arsenic and mercury poisoning, especially if you are a pregnant woman. Like in the human body, heavy metals are not so easy to remove from water sources. Some local governments may even claim that these amounts are negligible. To me, that is like saying a small bullet in your body is negligible.  I just do not want it in me!
Bottled water is great if you can afford to buy it all the time.  I gave up bottled water in favor of a filter on my faucet. I use so much filtered water that I go through a new filter about once a month. Every cup of tea, every gallon of Crystal Light, every bowl of water for the animals, every cup of noodles uses filtered water.
Oklahoma City water is safe enough. But I can smell the chlorine and it gags me. Why? Because it is the same chlorine smell that wafts from toilet water. My mind simply connects the smell of chlorine to toilet water and that is not an appetizing pairing with food and drink.  Cooking does not remove the chlorine smell, it only makes my soup and pasta taste like chlorine.
There you have it, hungry readers. Chlorine is NEVER an ingredient when I am cooking or preparing beverages. It should not be in yours either.

6 comments:

  1. I guess we are lucky here my water never smells or tastes of chlorine,xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandi, I have been thinking that it wouldn't kill me to get something to filter the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Jane. Texas water, and especially that in AUSTIN, must be horrid and lousy with chemicals, heavy metals, and amoebae. Amoebae you ask. Yes. They multiply in the brain, leaving behind their husks. They also poop in the brain. This toxic build up results in bad decision making, mostly in the part of the brain that responds to sports. Namely football. Specifically college football. To pin it down, The UT Longhorns.
      Yep, Beevo Amoebae.
      It might be wise to get a filter.

      Delete
  3. Brandi, You have really explained a lot. I really am going to get a filter, but will they really remove all of that. I have been worried about that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mountain Valley Spring water is the only water we drink or cook with at our house. We have it delivered in 5 gallon GLASS bottles. The water that is bottled in glass never ever touches any plastic, and plastic of course is petroleum derived and can leach that goo into your water too. This is the best water that you will ever taste...delicious....also high in naturally occurring Magnesium and Calcium.

    http://www.mountainvalleyspring.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete