Thursday, September 19, 2013

Popcorn!

Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks. We go to the movies not just for the entertainment, but for the delicious popcorn. Someday I will have my own professional popper (mini) at home. In the meantime, I can get my fix with a few simple steps, and using the microwave. While still popped in a paper bag, this homemade popcorn is nothing like the stinking kernels cemented in mystery shortening. My version is light and fluffy, buttery, and as salty as you desire.

Pair a batch or two with an assortment of candies, from Red Hots to Raisinets, and have yourself a movie marathon on Netflix!




Homemade Microwave Popcorn

RECOMMEND FIRST BATCH BE EXPERIMENTAL DUE TO VARIED MICROWAVE COOKING TIMES, AND DESIRED SALTINESS!

1 cup of popping corn kernels
4 tablespoons cooking oil. I recommend melted coconut oil, but any light, high heat tolerant oil is fine.
Half of a stick of real sweet cream butter, melted
Popcorn salt
4 small lunch sized paper bags

In a bowl, mix cooking oil with popping corn kernels. Add a bit of your popcorn salt and mix everything together. Divide your mix into 1/4 cup portions and put them into your paper bags. Using smaller paper bags ensures that the smaller space heats up quicker and remains hotter longer. Roll or fold your bags tightly to keep the heat trapped in them. Put one bag in the microwave and set on POPCORN setting or 2.5 minutes if your microwave does not have a POPCORN setting. DO NOT WALK AWAY. You will need to experiment with your popping times. Most of the popping will happen at the end of cooking time. Listen for the popping to slow down, and be mindful of the smell of burned popcorn.
When you finally get your batch just right, add one tablespoon of melted butter to the bag, add a bit of salt, close bag and give it about five good shakes.
When all your bags are popped, buttered, and salted, empty them into a big bowl.




5 comments:

  1. Mmmmm yummy!going to give me crumble another go finger crossed I get it right this time,xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandi, I thought you had been recently betrayed by popcorn. I am very glad you reconciled. Rachel, I didn't know you'd had any problems with your crumble. Or, as our bunny friends would say, "You did what with the 'fill in the blank...cranberries, pumpkin...' ?" In this case it was the bananas. I was pretty sure you and Brandi and your cooking were perfection itself. What can it mean? What can it mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am quick to forgive and forget when food betrays me. Which is why I never learn. I had to pry out another piece of kernel out from up under my gums. AGAIN. I had a nice piece of pumpkin pie today. And a cup of pumpkin spice latte. But I will be dogged if I forgot to get the wunnies their can of pumpkin!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Brandi, I had my first piece of pumpkin pie for the season on the 20th, too. Ah...the joy of the communion of great minds even over the miles! Great minds, right! Must confess, Grey Feather thinks I have a "grate" mind. I seem to have no e-mail. I trust all is going well. Gray Feather thinks I should be "trussed," but, hey, all this is just him using kitchen vocabulary at the right site.

    ReplyDelete