Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The BEST Tomato Soup, Three Cheese and Bacon Grilled Sammies, and Some Love

Hello, Fun Food Folks! From mac and cheese to prime rib roast, from peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to Christmas brunch, what you feed your loved ones should be something you love to prepare and are proud to serve. At least this is what I believe. Look, fancy schmancy food is great if you can afford it and if you have time for it.  But does that stuff make you happy? Will your daughters, granddaughters, and nieces and nephews compete with each other over who has duplicated your most loved and craved recipes when you have become a cherished memory?
Be happy. Eat Happy. Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches are a feast when you are happy and thankful. Quite frankly, I would rather have that than so-called haute cuisine!

So let's not blabber on and get to the first "fixer-upper" recipe:

I  hate canned tomato soup as is, right out of the can, with added water. Talk about ho-hum and unappetizing! This inexpensive can of soup can become something spectacular with a little "fixin' up".

Creamy Tomato Soup

1 can tomato soup
12 oz V8 vegetable juice or generic equivalent
12 oz milk (use half and half for creamier soup
salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in a saucepan and whisk whisk whisk to blend. Add salt and pepper to taste. I like a lot of pepper in my soups. Serve hot in mugs with crackers or grilled cheese sammies for dippin':

Grilled Three Cheese Bacon Sandwiches

Butter for schmearin'
Sliced sourdough or rye bread, or other artisan bread
Cream cheese or Laughing Cow creamy Swiss wedge
Mozzarella cheese slices or shreds
Cheddar cheese slice or shreds
Bacon slices (pre cooked or even bacon bits will do nicely)
* Any combination of three cheeses works great, as long as one of the cheeses is soft and spreadable. How about pimento cheese or a port wine cheese log? Maybe ricotta?*

Schmear butter onto the outsides of two slices of your bread. Schmear your soft white cheese on the other side of one slice, place it butter side down on a griddle preheated on medium heat setting. Stack your other two cheeses on top and then your bacon bits/strips. Top with your other buttered slice, butter side up. Press the sandwich down with your spatula while it grills or use a brick wrapped in foil (sort of like you are making a panini) as a weight. Grill about 3-5 minutes. Flip. Repeat with pressure till other side is toasted. ENJOY!

You could even add mushrooms in place of the bacon. Or do both. Bacon. Cheese. Mushrooms. This fat girl is getting hungry!

Y'all come on back for more nommiliciousness!


11 comments:

  1. and here is me trying to lose weight as I put on nearly a stone*sigh*xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am planning on having you post the recipe for your Christmas cake!

      Delete
    2. hehehe ok Let me know when you want it,xx Rachel

      Delete
  2. Oh MAN? Let's see - we do have some sourdough bread ... I think there is some cheese in the 'fridge, plenty of butter on hand - I'm out on an errand today so some extra cheese and bacon might just fall into the shopping cart ... hmmmm . Or I could just go ahead and eat about 6 Asian pears and some nice fresh crunchy zucchini?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could slice up a pear super thin and add it to your sandwich. That would be a very tasty "pearing"...hehehe

      Delete
  3. Brandi, please let me know when you open your restaurant. I will go whimper now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wanted to own a meal truck. When people enjoy my cooking, my heart is happy. I always joke with friends that calling me a whore would be preferable to saying I am a bad cook.

      Delete
    2. forget the wimpering just enjoy the nommies I know I will Jane,Speedy is have his Pirate party tomorrow Jane and He is wondering if you will be saying hello,xx Rachel

      Delete
    3. Rachel, I just got your e-mail. I will be saying "Hi!" AJ

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite winter meals. Real comfort food. Never thought of using cream cheese. And the pear sounds interesting. I also like adding carmelized onions. Can't wait for the temperature to drop back down agaqin on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If prosciutto can be paired with melon, and pineapple with pizza, then pears on a grilled cheezer should be fantastic.

      Delete